Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoughts on the WBTS and Jehovah's Wi...

Thoughts on the WTBS and Jehovah's Witnesses
by Chris E. Echols

Before I started studying with the Jehovah Witnesses in December 2009, I had never had a desire to even converse with them, because our society, expecially in the modern Christian  church, tends to cause us to shun the Jehovah Witnesses, just like evangelists of the Mormon faith.  However, recently, I worked up the courage to invite them in and allow them to share their faith as I was confident in my faith.  I love to study the bible, so I said, "Why Not?"

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WBTS) tend to view the Bible much differently than I do, but I always set out to prove all things and hold on to the good stuff 1Thessalonians 5:21.  I had also felt an nudging from the Holy Spirit to be fruitful and share what I know.  Upon our first meeting, I agreed with my adversary quickly (Matt 5:25) and saw many points that we could agree upon.  However,  before I knew anything about JW's, I had brought up the fact that I admire their willingness to go door to door sharing their faith, and I made an inference to the work of the Holy Spirit in helping them minister.  That's when I found out that they didn't believe that he Spirit could live in us continuously.   I shared how I would not dare to go door to door without confidence that I could yield my words, thoughts and deeds to the Holy Spirit, since I'm not that smart on my own.

In our very first session, they gave me their literature to use as a "guide" to study the Bible.  In the first couple of pages of there publication, "What does the Bible Really Teach", they made allusions to "paradise earth" and they talked about a hopeful escape of this current cruel world.  Just out pure innocence, I told them although I see in the Bible that we can indeed look forward to that paradise here on earth, I didn't have to wait until Jesus came back to have health and provision now, because he accomplished that part of the plan when he came the first time.  I also admitted that I was a little offended that they were going to my neighbors teaching them about "paradise earth", but not telling them the "Good News" that Jesus died so that they could have life NOW.  And that's when I decided to investigate the WBTS and see what else they were teaching, since I was obviously ignorant.

It appears that the WBTS doesn't take the bible literally, except in places where it bolsters the clout of the "organization" in the eyes of its believers or "witnesses".  They tend to always come up with some "spiritual" way to relate the story or parable to their over-riding principles for their existance (i.e. That Jesus appointed them as the "faithful and discreet slave", which has no scriptural support not even a little bit).

Over the next few weeks, I plan to post rough transcripts and commentary of my bible study sessions with a Jehovah Witness.  Hopefully it will help others not only learn how JW's believe and operate, but will also clear up some misunderstandings about both what the Bible actually says, and what many people may believe.  So I hope that you'll subscribe, comment, and email  and engage in the conversation.  All I ask is that if you're going to tell us what you believe, tell us where you get your belief from, (i.e., scripture and verse, mom, grandpa, etc.)

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment